Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trials And Tribulations

I used to be a member at the Xiem Clay Center in Pasadena California.  All work at Xiem is fired to Cone 10 in reduction.  After many years I had finally figured out the glazes; which ones worked well together and those that didnt play nicely.  It was just about that time some major changes occured in my life and I set up a studio at home, firing to Cone 5 oxidation.
It has been a challenge.
I have my work table, wheel and kiln and have purchased various glazes but getting the results that I want has been tough. I think my biggest problem has been that I have not had the time to do some serious testing.  So I am working on getting some more glazes to round out a palate and hope to do some serious testing at the end of next month.  At least thats the plan...
What cone are you working at?  And what challenges have you worked to overcome?
I often go to YouTube when looking for information on any topic, there are many videos on glaze application but not that much on specific glazes and what works with what.  I guess that is because there are so many variables from kiln to kiln and glaze to glaze.  Or even the geographical area you are firing in.
Which leads me to another question, where do you go when looking for help or information?
~Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment