Friday, November 26, 2010

And Now, As The Wheel Turns...Ask A Potter

I think the below answers say so much more than what they say... in so many ways.
What is the strangest or funniest comment or question you've ever gotten about your work?
Celeste:
A person asked why 2 items of similar size had different prices. One had some carving with no exterior glaze and the other one had a smooth surface with glazing. I took a deep breath and told the person that the carving took me about 4 to 6 hours to complete. Sometimes what seems apparent to the artist is not always apparent to the consumer.
Chris:
Standing in front of a large bowl with a hole in it, a sink, I was asked "Is that a lampshade?"
Jon:
Paul Soldner once told me my pots might look better if I threw them left handed.

1 comment:

  1. That woman who runs Freehand told me after I unwrapped TWO pieces of my work that it was "too rudimentary". Which is one of the main points in my work, so while I felt emotionally rejected, at the same time I also felt kindof validated. And my tiles were better than anything she had in the shop at the time, but she never saw those. :-)

    ReplyDelete