Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ask A Potter...Is It Love?

Ok, we’d all love to say we do this for the sheer love of art and clay, but let’s be real, one has to pay the bills. So, we sell what we love and home it goes to a happy place where it’s used and loved. Right? Today’s question is: Does getting paid for your art work embarrass you? If so, why? If not, why not?

Chris: Not at all. If your art is functional or non functional all that matters is that someone derives joy from what you made. If you create something that so moves someone else as to spend their money on it how can that be embarrassing?

Sally Anne: It’s weird for me to charge my friends. If I could, I’d just give it way to them for free, but then there’s the reality of clay, studio time, workshops… I get over it pretty quickly. I sell to make back my money and to get rid of pots. The more I have in my closet, the less I feel like making. And it’s nice to see what people will spend their money on, especially in these tough economic times. It makes me doubly appreciative of what I do sell. I’m not inexpensive like Crate & Barrel.

We’d love to hear your questions for the Covert Potter. Please email us with any question you may have and we will try to get them answered as quickly as possible! Thank you… read on.

1 comment:

  1. I am a cross between "Sell" and "OOOH!!! I'm saving this one for my physical portfolio!" When a very special piece sells, there is usually a conversation with the customer who has really connected with the concept. Often the piece is intended as a gift for someone who needs meditation/communication/connectivity messages, so deep down, I'm honored and humbled when the good stuff sells.

    ReplyDelete